The Irish Heritage School offers an accredited two week and four week geoarchaeology focused Environmental Science Program in partnership with the Institute for Field Research.
Environmental Science In Ireland: The Environmental and Cultural Heritage of the Irish Landscape
Throughout human time, people have been interacting with the natural landscape, seeking food, water and shelter, and resources with which to build a better life. Understanding the landscape, how it formed and how it has been altered by humans, is an integral part of the study of archaeology.
This unique teaching focused program has been designed to give students an in-depth understanding of the natural landscape, from the underlying bedrock to the glacial landforms, from the overlying soils to the flora and fauna they support. Through this understanding, students will be equipped to study the interaction of humans with the landscape through the millennia. The program combines field studies with laboratory work to piece together three different landscapes in three distinct locations. Staying with local families in homestay accommodation, this program also offers a deeply enriching cultural immersion, guaranteeing students a truly memorable experience.
The program will include field trips to iconic Irish landscapes including the midland blanket and raised bogs in Co. Offaly, the karst limestone landscape of the Burren in Co. Clare, The Atlantic wilderness of Clare Island, Co. Mayo (4 week program) and The Curragh, Co. Kildare (2 week program).
- Course Dates: July 14 – August 10, 2019 – 4 week program
- August 11 – August 24, 2019 – 2 week program
- Where: Birr (base), Burren and Clare Island (4 week program)
- Birr (base), Burren and The Curragh (2 week program)
- Enrolment Status: OPEN
- Academic Credit: 8 semester credit units (equivalent to 12 quarter units) for 4 week program; 2 semester credit units (equivalent to 3 quarter units) for 2 week program.
- Total Cost: (including all meals, accommodation, tuition, instruction, equipment and field trips) $4,735 for 4 week program
- $2,815 for 2 week program
- Course Type: Environmental Science/Geoarchaeology
- Payment Deadline : April 5, 2019 for both programs.
- Instructor: Dr. Stephen Mandal
- Apply through the Institute for Field Research
- – click here for 4 week program
- – click here for 2 week program