‘In essence, all Irish Heritage School Programs are custom built, because each faculty / institution brings its own valuable perspective.’
The Irish Heritage School (IHS) has a long track record working with a host of universities and faculty to develop and successfully deliver unique heritage related study abroad options. Our programs are typically two to four weeks in duration but can be structured to meet the individual demands of your institution.
Every program is:
- custom built specific to your requirements to ensure that participants get to visit the most appropiate sites and organisations and gain access to the leading experts and academics, which best complement their program of study;
- has at its core a strong academic foundation, which is balanced by practical experiential learning in our fantastic ‘outdoor classroom’; and
- centred around local communities with whom we have long-standing and committed relationships – so you are guaranteed a warm welcome by a community that is eager to make your stay as enjoyable, productive and ‘homely’ as possible.
There are numerous reasons you to choose the IHS for the provision of your customised program:
- Our staff includes some of the foremost academics from a variety of heritage sectors in the country, with a wealth of experience in several different sectors;
- We only work with a small group of core committed communities, helping to create an immediate sense of community/belonging for incoming institutions;
- Our host communities are actively supportive of IHS and are eager to make your stay as productive and enjoyable as possible; and
- We are committed to what we do and are passionate about it.
Below are some examples of program areas we have customised in the past. This list is not exhaustive, so if you do not see what you are interested in but it is heritage related, please call us first!
- Physical Anthropology
- Folklore and Oral History
- Survey and geophysical survey
- Heritage/Cultural Resource Management
- Heritage themed service learning
- Heritage sustainability
- Natural Heritage
- Museum Studies
- Responsible tourism
Our Customized Programs typically include:
- Placement on program led by a dedicated academic /industry leader;
- Airport transfer;
- Homestay accommodation and all meals;
- Field trips, workshops and lectures;
- Welcome/project pack;
- In-country orientation and welcome event;
- Pre-departure advising and application assistance; and
- 24/7 in-country support team.
All our programs are uniquely designed for your institution. Assistance which may be included as part of your program or offered as an extra include:
- Health Insurance (if not already offered by the travelling institution); and
- Additional extras (as requested by the institution).
(Not Included: Airfare and spending money)
Customised Program Fees
All our programs are bespoke and cater individually for institutions based on their budget and desired length of stay. If you wish to discuss a customised program, please contact us.
Our customised programs can be arranged at anytime throughout the year (although certain local partners and activities are only available at specific times of the year). We individually match each institution to their most suitable locations and activities, so typically encourage interested individuals/intuitions to make contact with us as soon as possible to start creating their program!
For further information please contact us.
‘Working with the Irish Heritage School has been an extremely positive and productive collaboration for Meath County Council. The IHS have a proven track record for delivering projects, are truly experts in their field and their can-do attitude has transformed a site neglected for many centuries into an award winning community-driven project recognised both nationally and internationally. They are excellent communicators and can engage students and the public in a participative and engaging manner. They have built very strong community relationships and have gained local respect and support in recognition of this effort. They have attracted a number of university partners to the town of Trim (and wider County of Meath) and are experienced in tailoring bespoke programs, specific to the requirement of individual institutions.’
– Dr Loreto Guinan, Heritage Officer for Meath County Council, Ireland